Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Old Treasures, Old Memories

So I was looking through some stuff and I found a notebook that I had not seen in a while. I started to look through it and I found two FHE activities that Jonah and I did right after we got married and I wanted to share them with you. The first one was that we had to write our testimonies down and let each other read them. I can only find what I wrote so I guess you don't get to hear Jonah's. But there is some personal stuff in here so don't judge. The second activity was to write the traits that you think describe a good husband and a good wife.

My Testimony from FHE on 8/25/08

I can honestly sat that my testimony has been tried and tested more than I would have wanted. But I don't regret it, just for the fact that it has helped shape me into who I am today. I think the first major thing that tried my testimony was my relationship with Mike. In that relationship I was manipulated, controlled, and blind to what was happening to me. I learned that I can't let anyone or anything get in the way of what I know is right in my heart. And that is that the gospel is true. It was restored through the prophet Joseph Smith. He went through many trials that could have broken him down. But he stood strong for what he knew was true in his heart. He is a very good example of perseverance.
I remember something that happened that helped me want to find my testimony after I had lost it. After I broke up with Mike, my brother asked me to go to lunch with him one afternoon. He talked to me about what had happened and what I was going through and was a comfort to me. He talked to me about the church and assured me that if I would turn to the Lord and seek him for help and guidance, that I would be ok. Even thought that is something a primary child would say, it was just what I needed to hear. It was nice to have my brother there to help me through it.
Something else that, not necessarily tested my testimony, but made it stronger, was moving away from my family. I could no longer lean on my parents testimony. I needed to make it my own. But being away also made me realize how much I do love my family and how much I want to be with them forever. My family means the world to me and there is no other group of people that I would want to spend eternity with. By moving away, it tested me in some ways. While living on my own, I had to be the strong one to tell myself to get up and go to church. I was in charge of myself. That was a very good opportunity for me to become stronger.
With all the hard times I have gone through, and with all the trials, I am so grateful that I have had my Savior there by my side. When I was at my lowest point, he was the one that carried me through. I know now that he will always be there for me. I just have to be the one to ask for his help. He loves me and wants to see me progress and become the person he know I can be. I know that he lives and that he will come again. I know that he atoned not only for my sins, but for the sins of the world. He sacrificed his life so that we can have the chance to be like him. Through living by his example, and by keeping his commandments and the covenants I have made, I can experience true happiness. And I have received so many blessings. I have been able to attend the temple with my eternal companion, who I know will be by my side for whatever life brings us. I know that we will both help each other strengthen our testimonies as we progress together. I know that by attending the temple and keeping close to God, we will be happier that we ever could have imagined. I know the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true. I know that families can be forever. I am thankful for the early Saints who play a big part in where we are today. I know that by the atonement we can be forgiven of our mistakes and we can return to be with our Father in Heaven. I know that I still have a lot to learn and I am excited to learn all I can.

FHE What I think makes a good wife and husband
Wife: Ad good wife is one who will support her husband in whatever he does. She is strong in what she believes in . She loves her husband and family. She does her best to keep the spirit in the home. She is there when needed and there to listen or talk to you. She is not selfish.
Husband: A good husband is one that provides for his family and honors his priesthood. He loves his family and not selfish. He is willing to help when he is needed. He works to fix problems and helps to keep the spirit in the home. He is someone who brings joy and laughter to the home.

What Jonah thinks makes a good wife and husband
Wife: You try to understand me and love me and want to be with me. You always are willing to work with me to get through things whatever it may be. that you come to me with your problems and confide in me and are not lazy, and don't get mad at me if I am :)
Husband: that I am always there for you and willing to help. I do my best to provide for you and take care of you. I admit when I am wrong and try to fix it. I am humble and love my Savior. Pick on you and tease you and help you around the house :)

So those are two things that I found from when we were first married and it is fun to see that we still have the same views basically. We are still just as happy now as we were then, if not happier. I am grateful to have such a wonderful man to share my life with.

4 comments:

TaMerra said...

Thanks for sharing that with us. It was perfect. On a side note, why can't I remember Mike?

Hollee said...

Cause he is not worth remembering

ileen said...

Hollee that is beautiful. I hope you keep that and update it as your testimony grows. I encourage you to keep doing your FHE's. You know they are important. Love ya

Anonymous said...

its awesome to see how the husband/wife traits match :D